A rare brain condition that causes a 3-year-old to die in sleep

A rare brain condition that causes a 3-year-old to die in sleep

Due to a rare brain condition, a 3-year-old boy died suddenly in his sleep as the family found her child Frankie Grogan unresponsive in his bed at his family home in Temperley, and his parents Sarah and James Grogan said he looked ‘unfamiliar’ in the hours before his death after waking up at night for a drink and feeling warm.

They said they gave him the medicine and examined him while he was asleep, but they woke up the next morning to find his color blue, and according to the British Daily Mail Frankie suffered bouts of fever in his early years but did not suffer a seizure for five months before his death.

After his death, doctors discovered that he had a “very rare” brain condition, a deformity of the hippocampus – a condition associated with sudden death, and Ms. Grogan said: “He was born three weeks ago but was healthy, about seven months ago he started with a nanny and settled immediately.”

She said Frankie had his first seizure before he was 1 year old and was taken to Wythenshu Hospital where he underwent tests, doctors said he had a seizure and allowed him to go home, and he had several more seizures in 2017 and 2018, caused by high temperature due to viral infections such as tonsillitis or ear infections.

“We used to take him to the hospital every time,” Ms. Grogan said. We tried with someone to deal with him at home, but they were so scary that we kept him taken to the hospital afterwards, and we were told with seizures that the majority of the children could get rid of them.

Before his death, his parents measured his temperature, which showed that he was “warm”, but “slightly above normal”, so they gave him Nurofen and eventually put him to bed.

Frankie then woke up at 4.30am and asked his parents for a drink. His mother added: “He felt warm, so I gave him a drink and water and brought him back to bed.”

“James had set the alarm at about 7 a.m., but it was strange that the alarm went off before Frankie woke up, so he went to see him and found him unresponsive and ‘blue’ in his bed. His mother gave him CPR on landing before paramedics arrived and tried to resuscitate him, and he was taken to Wythenainshaw Hospital due to a heart attack where he sadly died less than an hour later despite the efforts of doctors.

Rajiv Shukla, a consultant paediatrician at Alder Hay Children’s Hospital, presented frankie’s cause of death as a chora in the hippocampus linked to sudden death, and paediatric consultant Lapkong Young, who was involved in Frankie’s treatment of epileptic seizures, told the inquest that he was “shocked” after reading the autopsy report and “never heard of the case.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *